Language center “Lingua-Baikal” in Irkutsk The Language center “Lingua-Baikal” is the brainchild of a group of university educators who teach Russian as a foreign language. In past years, our student body has included Arabs, Americans, Belgians, Poles, French, Koreans, Japanese, Germans, Chinese – and the list goes on. We would like to thank you all for choosing to study Russian language and culture. We guarantee that your time spent in Russia will not be wasted because we will try our best to help you realize your goals.
Занятия в школе проводятся в учебных зданиях Института математики Иркутского Государственного университета. Слушатели наших курсов имеют возможность общаться с российскими студентами этого университета Learn more..
The educational programs of the Language center “Lingua-Baikal” are formed in accordance with the requirements and demands of the Russian State higher education standards for Russian as a foreign language (generally known as RfL). Just as the state system of RFL is multi-level, including elementary, basic, first, second, and third certification levels, and in order to be entirely in accordance with the law, the educational programs of our center reflect corresponding levels. Each level introduces its minimum vocabulary, grammar, and all types of communication exercises: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
At the first level of study (from zero), we offer an intensive course in practical Russian (elementary and basic levels). Advancing to the first certification level, we begin the introduction of these aspects of study: Practical Speech, Practical Grammar, Business Russian, Journalistic Language, Russian Speech Etiquette, Functional Style, Russian Literature, Synopses of Special Literature, Audio-visual Course, Practical Phonetics, and others. We also offer our students a special course, “Welcome to Siberia,” based on the study aids collectively developed by Irkutsk university professors under the direction of T. V. BronskAIA, L. I. Zacharova, and S. A. LIAtte. This special course includes multicultural information on the history and development of Siberia. Our students have the right to choose their courses
Certificates and Diplomas
По окончании обучения слушатели курсов получают Сертификат Языкового центра. Также слушатели курсов имеют возможность сдать Государственный тест на знание русского языка 1, 2 или третьего уровня и в случае удачной сдачи теста - получить Государственный Сертификат.
Учебные материалы в школе - это прежде всего обширная библиотека учебной литературы по русскому языку как иностранному, а также фильмотека с записями лучших российских фильмов.
At the Language center “Lingua-Baikal” all the teachers hold master’s degrees in linguistics and have experience working as specialists in the field of teaching Russian as a foreign language at the university level. We are in favor of and support the unofficial system of student evaluation of teachers that is recognized by the international educational community. Because of this, all the teachers of Irkutsk universities must show recommendations not only from their university, but also from foreign students. Our teachers are people who understand well the methods of teaching RFL (Russian as a foreign language) and have great interest in the science of psychology, pedagogy, and linguistics; they speak foreign languages and have worked as teachers of Russian abroad.
Social and Cultural Activities
Есть праздники, которые мы отмечаем вместе с нашими Слушателями. Это и Встреча Нового года, когда все участники праздника готовят весёлые выступления. Это и совместная поездка на залив Якоби в Иркутске в день Крещения 19 января, когда иркутяне, несмотря на 40-градусные морозы, по православной традиции три раза окунаются в ледяную прорубь.
The Language center “Lingua-Baikal” values the wishes of its clients, and offers several accommodation options:
1. Family home stay
2. Apartment Rental
4. Student Dormitory
Because we consider ourselves responsible for your comfort, we ask that you notify us regarding your choice of accommodations at least ten days before your arrival in Irkutsk.
Excursions and Visits
City Tour programme
All city tours are mostly organized for groups (according to the pupil’s desire and choice) and are accompanied by teacher’s, guide’s and interpreter’s (if necessary) comments.
1. Sightseeing bus city tour.
Places to visit:
* Historical place where Irkutsk fortress was built
* The Church of Our Savior (Spasskaya Church) (1701-1710) – the oldest architectural monument (nowadays the department of the Irkutsk Museum of Regional Studies)
* The Cathedral of Epiphany (Bogoyavlensky cathedral) (acting cathedral built in Siberian baroque style)
* The Roman Catholic Church of the Assumption of Our Lady (built in neo-gothic style)
* The memorial “The Citizens of Irkutsk in the Great Patriotic War (World War II) 1941-1945”
* The central square with major architectural monuments
* The mansions of Irkutsk merchants-millionaires
* The Omen Cathedral (Znamensky monastery), acting cathedral – the residence of Irkutsk Archbishop (there are the graves of Grigory Shelekhov (a famous Russian traveler) and Ekaterina Trubetskaya (Decembrist Trubetskoy’s wife) within the cathedral’s territory)
* Karl Marx Street, Gagarin Boulevard, Lenin Street – the most beautiful streets in Irkutsk
* The monument to the emperor Alexander III, by his order the Trans-Siberian Railway (1898) was constructed
* and other sights of Irkutsk
2. Excursion to the Trubetskoy house and to the Volkonsky house museum
Originally Siberia was the place of exile and penal servitude. In different periods of time Irkusk was the residence for exiled Decembrists, polish rebels, narodovoltsi (members of the movement “Narodnaya volya” (People’s will)), Bolshevics (I.Stalin also visited Irkutsk), Japanese prisoners of war. Among settlers exiled in Irkutsk were outstanding figures of Decembrist movement – N. Muraviyev, S.Trubetskoy, S. Volkonsky.
3. Excursion to the Irkutsk State mineralogical museum named after A.Sidorov.
The museum is located in the building of Irkutsk State Technical University. Its collection began to form in 1930. Nowadays the museum is one of the five best mineralogical museums in Russia.
4. Excursion to the Irkutsk Regional Art museum named after V.Sukachev.
Irkutsk knew “its own” P.Tretiyakov – V. Sukachev (1849-1920), a famous merchant-patron of the arts who gave his collection to the city. Nowadays the museum’s collection includes more than 14 000 works of art.
5. Excursion to the museum of Regional studies.
It is one of the oldest museums in Russia, its construction began in 1782. This museum displays the history of our region from the Paleolithic till now. The museum’s collection includes the objects of Russian orthodox worship, Shamanism and Lamaism, weapons and different clothing accessories and ornaments (more than 300000 exhibits).
6. Excursions to some other museums of the city.